As Program Director I caught some flack for not posting my favorites for the year. We’ve also heard from many FPK fans wondering where the staff picks are on the website. So… here are my “Top Ten” and you’ll now find a special section on the homepage so you can easily locate the picks of your favorite WFPK hosts. Enjoy!
2. Fleet Foxes – Fleet Foxes (Sub Pop)
I guess I’m not the only one to be seduced by the gorgeous arrangements and harmonies of these long-time friends from Seattle.
3. TV On The Radio – Dear Science (Touch and Go)
The most interesting and nuanced rock album of the year. No two tracks are the same. I hear something new with every listen.
4. Bon Iver – For Emma, Forever Ago (Jagjaguwar)
5. Jenny Lewis – Acid Tongue (Warner Brothers)
The latest solo effort from the Rilo Kiley singer features guests like Elvis Costello, Chris Robinson and M. Ward, but it’s Jenny who pulls it all together and really shines.
6. The Black Keys – Attack and Release (Nonesuch)
Producer Danger Mouse helped them find a fuller roots rock sound but they didn’t loose their grit. Their best yet!
7. My Morning Jacket – Evil Urges (ATO)
I won’t drink the Kool Aid, but I WILL eat the Peanut Butter Pudding Surprise!
8. Vampire Weekend – Vampire Weekend (XL)
My daughter and I share a love for these guys. We’ve had it in the car forever and still pop it in the player often! Feel good album of the year!
9. Thao Nguyen – We Brave Bee Stings and All (Kill Rock Stars)
Indie folk pop at it’s finest. Usually a solo performer, Thao joined forces with the band The Get Down Stay Down for her latest release and tour.
10. Greg Laswell – Three Flights From Alto Nido (Vanguard)
These songs are SOOOO good! He moved away from his more intimate arrangements for a bigger sound on this one.