These albums are my favorites of the year. I’m not saying they are the “best” but they are pretty darn great in my humble opinion. They are:
10. Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings- 100 Days, 100 Nights – contempory Detroit soul that sounds like it was made in the 1960’s. Love that retro sound.
9. Seawolf – Leaves In The River – Alex Church who is Seawolf has put together a brilliant and gorgeous record.
8. Brandi Carlile- The Story – Bursting with talent and a killer voice she is someone to watch out for.
7. Patty Griffin – Children Running Through – Another beautiful record from one of my favorite songwriters. The slower cuts on this album tear me apart. Obviously, I enjoy pain!
6. Iron & Wine – The Shepherd’s Dog – Every single song has a different texture and feel. I love it.
5. The National – Boxer – Edgy and melodic, dark and beautiful.
4. Ryan Adams – Easy Tiger – He’s a great songwriter although I don’t think I appreciated that fact until this album which is filled with one great tune after another.
3. Robert Plant & Alison Krauss – Raising Sand – I love the novelty of these two singing together and it working so damn well. I love the songs they chose to record too. I love producer T-Bone Burnett. What more can you ask for?
2. Jason Isbell – Sirens of The Ditch – This album hit me up sideways and out of nowhere unexpectedly becoming one of my favorites of the year. From start to finish it’s superb.
1. Joan Osborne – Breakfast In Bed – I have never picked a covers’ album as a favorite but Joan pays such excellent tribute to these versions of classic soul favorites by the greats such as Gladys Knight, Bill Withers and others I couldn’t stop playing it over and over again this year. It is my number one favorite of the year.
Have a Happy New Year and thanks for listening! Laura